Pollution is one of the biggest issues that we as a society face today. The everyday deteriorating environment is a big challenge for humans. The mixing of any harmful substances or pollutants in our natural environment is called pollution. It is due to human activity, many contaminators get introduced in the natural environment thereby polluting it to harmful levels.
Long and Short Essay on Pollution due to Urbanization in English
Essay 1 (300 words)
The days are gone when kids would roam freely on streets and birds would fly in the sky. Such a nice scene has been very rare to see, nowadays. We should blame ourselves only! India was a land of villages; our culture arose from villages only. But then we did something so bad that we are paying the price of it even today. We have replaced the major part of the earth with factories, mills, and buildings causing pollution.
There are Various Levels at which Urban Pollution is happening like:
Types and Causes of Urban Pollution
- Air Pollution: The air in the urban areas is always polluted with harmful substances and it is becoming hazardous day by day to breathe. The air in the cities is choking. The smoke from automobiles, factories and power generators makes the air unhealthy. There are other factors also like chemical spills and other toxic gases that contaminate the air.
- Water Pollution: As it is there are very few natural water sources in the urban areas and the ones that are there are getting increasingly polluted. There is a lot of disposal in the lakes and rivers like household & industrial disposal. A lot of waste gets mixed with rain and washed into the waters.
- Soil Pollution: The mixing of toxins in the soil is disturbing the eco-system.
- Noise Pollution: Urban areas are one of the noisiest ones. Various sources of noise pollution include traffic noises, loud-speakers, and other unwanted noises that cause many health issues.
- Radioactive Pollution: The accidental leakage by nuclear power plants poses a big threat.
- Visual Pollution: The overexposure of visuals in the cities in the form of signs, billboards, screens, high-intensity lights, etc. are also quite disturbing.
- Other than these there is also ‘Thermal pollution’ that is caused by an excessive amount of heat trapped in the earth’s atmosphere.
The various means of pollution in urban areas can lead to many health issues in the people living in cities. We are every day exposed to more than one of these health issues sources.
Essay 2 (400 words)
We achieved a big step when we urbanized our villages but it came with a price. We surely have a luxurious and comfortable life in the modern-day cities and towns but it has dent a big hole in the health of our environment. It has brought with it many problems that we face. The developing cities saw rapid growth and this urbanization brought with it a web of difficulties and we seem to be stuck in them.
Problems Due to Urbanization
The need for free space to build roads, buildings, and bridges, etc made massive deforestation happen. The trees were cut down, the fields were cleared and space was created to accommodate the ever-rising population. It is a no-brainer that cutting trees is a major reason for pollution. The high density of the population created a lack of everything like space, natural resources like water, coal, etc.
The interaction of an urban population with the environment caused some serious problems. The consumption patterns and the lifestyle of the urban population changed the environment massively. The urban population consumes more food, energy, and water. The air in urban areas is much more polluted than the rural ones. This is mainly because of the use of automobiles and the building up of industries and factories that pollute the air at an increasing rate. Almost everything that we use works on electricity. The need for electricity in the cities is always rising and to meet that more power plants are built and that pollutes the air.
The lakes, rivers and any other water bodies in urban areas are always polluted by the dump of industrial waste and sewage. Marine life faces a lot of danger. We cannot ignore that noise pollution is one of the major causes of stress-related issues in urban population. More and more trees are cut down to meet the needs of urban people and in exchange, very few trees are planted. The use of plastic is another major reason for the degradation of the environment.
Studies show that urbanization is one of the major causes of depleting natural resources. We are constantly damaging our mother earth and the result is high pollution levels in the cities and towns. It is not possible to reverse the damage that we have already done but we can surely take some preventive measures and control further damage. It is high time that we take some serious steps to save our planet and leave a better tomorrow.
Essay 3 (500 words)
The advancement of technology and industrialization has caused rapid growth in our lifestyle. Long back we started developing cities that are well equipped with all the facilities. The process of urbanization created a big dent in the health of our environment. The natural resources were depleted and this excessive use of technology and energy became a major source of pollution and today we live in a world that is highly polluted and unfit living.
Pollution Caused by Urbanization
There are various pollution that is caused by urbanization like air pollution, noise pollution, water pollution, thermal pollution, global warming, deforestation, etc. It is high time that now we must adopt ways and means by which we can improve the health of the environment.
There is a Number of Solutions that we can apply and create a Better Tomorrow.
Solutions and Prevention of Urban Pollution
- Conserve Energy: The urban area’s people always use more energy than the rural area’s people. The consumption of energy causes various kinds of pollution. Saving energy wherever possible is one of the best ways to curb pollution. Turn off the electrical appliances when they are not being used. This small step can help in a big way.
- Use less water: We waste a lot of water daily and this can lead to bad consequences. We must try and use as less water as possible.
- Plant more trees: The urban areas are the ones that have fewer greeneries. Try to plant many trees and vegetation as much as possible in your surrounding areas. The kitchen garden and small lawn near home is a good idea.
- Green belts: The government can help and declare some areas in every city as green belts so that trees and other plants can be grown there without any obstruction.
- Use fewer loudspeakers: The minimum use of loudspeakers can reduce noise pollution a lot. Decreasing the volume of music at functions after a certain time is also a good move.
- Indoors: The indoors of the homes are also highly polluted in cities. We must have some plants inside the homes also, that can filter the indoor polluted air.
- Industrial waste: The factory owners must try and make it possible that industrial waste is not dumped in the lakes or rivers. The government can also make laws for the same.
- Say no to plastic: Plastic is one of the most harmful substances that can pollute the air, water, and soil altogether. We must try and minimize the use of plastic as much as possible. Use just cloth bags instead of plastic.
- Use Public transport: Avoid using cars and bikes for daily use. Try to use public transport, bicycle, and carpools. This will not only curb air pollution but will also decrease the traffic on roads.
- Walk: Try to go to nearby areas on foot i.e. walking, this will reduce pollution and will also improve your health.
- Better garbage disposal: Use the structural methods of garbage disposal in cities.
A small step can help in a big way and the contribution of every citizen will make the urban areas more livable. Following these simple steps and with a little help from the government, we can definitely reduce the city pollution a lot. If we do not wake up today and do not realize the worst condition of natural resources then after some time our future generations will not be able to survive, It’s far to enjoy the environment.
Essay 4 (600 words)
In order to create a better tomorrow, we have created a difficult toady. We have urbanized our villages and made them into hi-tech cities that have all the modern facilities and every day we are creating something or the other new. Today we all dream of a digital India. In a country, every citizen uses technology for his/her betterment. We aim to create a world where everything is just a button push away. Every day more and more Indians are using technology for making their day to day life easy. Today we have become the slaves of technology and cannot live without technology even for a minute. We need to be connected all the time. Even our government is trying to transform the nation into a digitally empowered society.
Digital India and Environmental Importance
We see a smartphone in the hands of everybody even the labor of these days. Everybody understands the power and reach of the internet. We no more call, now video call our loved ones. Any information can reach any corner of the world in seconds now. We cannot ignore the power of digitalization. But what is the important question here is that can digitization of the digital movement be ‘environmental substantial’. We must ask this question to the founding fathers of digital India; can they assure that through this digitization our precious environment will not be harmed? Is it possible to move forward with modernization without harming the natural resources and without disturbing the ecological balance?
The digital revolution is such a thing that touches every aspect of our life as it connects us to the rest of the world all the time. We all know that digital appliances have carbon emissions and that has harmful effects on our ecosystem. We are also aware that these appliances emit radiation that is very harmful to humans. It is also advised not to keep mobile phones very near to your head or heart at night.
So in short, these digital devices are more harmful than helpful. We are also consuming power at a rapid speed and soon all the power will be exhausted. We are creating new and more advanced devices day by and day and we forget that all these use power and more devices mean more use of power. The consumption is increasing day by day but what we do not realize that natural resources are scarce. There will be a day when they will not be able to satisfy our power needs. Soon there will be a time when these devices will become uncontrollable and we will then suffer from the harmful effects.
Digital India comes with a cost. It can have effects on us at many levels like, it pollutes our environment, it degrades our ecosystem and most importantly it causes many harmful effects on our physical health. The radiations cause vision problems, headaches, and many other such issues. What we lack are the tools of awareness that can tell us how to control these effects. Do we really need a digital India today that cannot promise a better tomorrow?
There is a strong need to create a mass concern effort that can bring awareness about these problems. Digitization is good but it must be at controlled levels so that we can move forward but also make sure that our environment is safe. It is our duty to leave a pollution-free environment and safe world for our future generations.