Female foeticide refers to the illegal abortion of the female fetus. Despite strictly banned by law, female foeticide in India is still in practice. The crime stems from the want of not having a girl child, by the society which considers girls as an additional liability on her parents. Female foeticide is a blot on the nation’s aspirations of gender equality and women empowerment; which are mere words unless female foeticide is successfully eliminated. It also has far-reaching consequences on society, like a higher male to female sex ratio. Lesser number of females than males in any particular region leads to illegal trafficking of females from other locations to that region, technically called flesh trade.
Long and Short Essay on Female Foeticide
Essay 1 (250 words)
What is Female Foeticide
Female foeticide is the process of abortion to terminate a female fetus from the womb of the mother before birth after the sex determination tests like an ultrasound scan. Female foeticide and even any sex determination test is illegal in India. It is the shame for the parents who are desperate for a baby boy as well as doctors carrying out abortions especially for this.
Causes of Female Foeticide
Female foeticide has been in practice for centuries especially for families who prefer only male children. Various religious, social, financial and emotional reasons are also there. Time has been changed now to a great extent however, various reasons and beliefs are continuing in some families. Some key reasons for female foeticide are:
- Generally, parents avoid girl babies because they have to pay a big amount (more than their strength) as a dowry at daughter’s marriage.
- There is a belief that girls are always consumers and boys are the producer. Parents understand that sons earn money for the whole life and care for their parents however girls will get married a day and go away.
- There is a myth that the son will carry the name of a family in the future whereas the girl has to carry husband’s family.
- Parents and grandparents understand their honor while having a boy baby in the family whereas shame having a daughter.
- There is pressure on the new bride of the family to give birth to a male child thus she is forced to go for sex determination and abortion if girl baby.
- Illiteracy, insecurity, and poverty of people in society are the main reasons for the girl’s baby burden.
- Technological advancement in science and utilities has made this very easy for parents.
Essay 2 (300 words)
Female foeticide is the termination of a girl fetus in the womb before its complete term just because it is female. According to the statistics, it is found that male to female sex ratio is 102.4 males/100 females in 1961, 104.1 males/100 females in 1981, 107.8 males/100 females in 2001, and 108.8 males/100 females in 2011. It shows that the number of males per female is increasing regularly. Female foeticide was almost started in the early 1990s on the coming of affordable ultrasound technology in India.
The advancement of ultrasound technology in India came in 1979 however its spread was slow. But became widespread in the 2000s. It is estimated that since the 1990s, more than 10 million female fetuses have been aborted because of being a girl. We can see that female foeticide has been practiced through the history and cultural background. Earlier, people believed that male babies are superior as they would provide manual labor as well as lead the family lineage in the future. Son is considered as a family asset however a daughter is a liability.
Daughters are given less respect and priority than sons in Indian society from the ancient time. They did not have the same access as boys in the areas of education, healthcare, nutrition, play, etc. In order to combat sex-selective abortions, there should be high-level awareness among the common public. Satyamev Jayate, a most famous program run by the Aamir Khan on TV has done great to raise awareness among the common public through its first episode of “Daughters Are Precious”. Cultural interventions regarding this issue need to be addressed through awareness programs. Recent awareness programs like Beti Bachao Beti Padhao, or Save girls campaign, etc have been made regarding girl’s rights.
Essay 3 (400 words)
Female foeticide is the elimination of girl child after sex determination test from the womb. The girl child is killed before birth just to fulfill the wishes of old members in the family of getting boy baby first. All the process went under familial pressure, especially by husband or in-laws. The general reason behind abortion becomes unplanned pregnancy however female foeticide becomes planned by the families. It is the age-old practice to kill ever unwanted girl child in Indian society.
People believe that boys are the key to continue their family lineage however they do not understand the most simple thing that girls are reasons to give birth to the new entity in the world, not boys.
Reasons for Female Foeticide
A female foeticide is an unethical act that has been practiced from old age due to some cultural norms and socio-economic policies. Following are the reasons for female foeticide in Indian society:
- The important reason for female foeticide is the preference of a male child over girl child because the son is the main source of income however girls are the consumer. There is a misconception in the society that boys are always looking after their parents however girls are to left them away.
- The old custom of the dowry system in India has put a big challenge before parents which is the main reason to avoid girl child by the parents.
- The low status of women in the male-dominated Indian society.
- Parents consider that boys would carry their name ahead in society however girls are only to handle households.
- The legalization of abortion in India is another big reason for the illegal sex determination and termination of girl baby.
- Technological advancement in the health sector has given fire to the female foeticide.
Effective Measures to Control:
As we all know that female foeticide is a crime and social disaster for the future of women. We should notice the reasons for female foeticide in Indian society and try to solve one by one on a regular basis. Female infanticide or female feticide is mainly because of sex determination. There should be a legal stoppage to get control over it. All the laws should be strictly followed by every citizen of India. And one should be surely punished if found guilty for this cruel practice. Permanent termination of license should be done if found practicing this. Marketing of medical equipment especially for illegal sex determination and abortion should be stopped. Parents should be penalized who want to kill their girl baby. Campaigns and seminars should be regularly organized to aware of young couples. Women should be empowered so that they can be more attentive to their rights.