In easy words, it can be said that we can not count issues and problems face by women in India. Yes, instead of being down women’s issues and problems, it is increasing day by day. The cases of insecurities of women in their own country have increased to a great extent in the last few years. The insecurity of being molested and being raped is too much. Whom we can blame, don’t know; but what is happening is worst for women, representing the half population of the country. Know more about this topic through these essays:
Long and Short Essay on Issues and Problems faced by Women in India
Essay 1 (250 words)
In ancient Indian society, women were adored and worshiped as goddesses. However, in the middle age, the status of women got down to a great extent. Women are considered in society only to perform duties like bring up children, caring for every family member, and other household activities. There is the old and traditional faith of people coming out for years that men are for thy field whereas women are only for the home.
Nowadays, women are breaking all the barriers of social issues and problems against them in society. They are getting ahead and enjoying equality of status in almost all fields because of being financially independent and economically sound.
Earlier to this women were facing a lot of problems because of male-dominated, patriarchal society system, the practice of old traditional believes, etc. Women were only responsible for traditional roles like childbearing and child-rearing. In the modern world, where women’s status has been improved a little while, still, they are facing problems. They have to perform both family and professional responsibilities together without the help of their husbands.
In some cases, the condition of women become more embarrassed when they get tortured by their family members instead of getting help. Sexual harassment is more common at homes as well as in the offices by the family members, relatives, neighbors, friends, boss, etc. They have to suffer a lot in their daily life to nourish their careers as well as saving their family relationships.
Essay 2 (300 words)
There are various issues and problems which women generally face in society in India. Some of the problems are mentioned and described below:
- Selective abortion and female infanticide: It is the most common practice for years in India in which abortion of a female fetus is performed in the womb of mother after the fetal sex determination and sex-selective abortion by the medical professionals.
- Sexual harassment: It is the form of sexual exploitation of a girl child at home, streets, public places, transports, offices, etc by the family members, neighbors, friends or relatives.
- Dowry and Bride burning: It is another problem generally faced by women of low or middle-class families during or after the marriage. Parents of boys demand a lot of money from the bride’s family to be rich in one time. Groom’s family performs bride burning in case of a lack of fulfilled dowry demand. In 2005, around 6787 dowry death cases were registered in India according to the Indian National Crime Bureau reports.
- The disparity in education: The level of women education is less than men still in the modern age. Female illiteracy is higher in rural areas. where over 63% or more women remain unlettered.
- Domestic violence: it is like endemic and widespread disease affects almost 70% of Indian women according to the women and child development officials. It is performed by the husband, relative or other family members.
- Girls have no property rights like boys forever.
- Child Marriages: Early marriage of the girls by heir parents in order to be escaped from dowry. It is highly practiced in rural India.
- Inadequate Nutrition: Inadequate nutrition in childhood affects women in their later life especially women belonging to the lower middle class and poor families.
- Domestic violence and status in the family: It is the abuse or violence against women.
- Women are considered inferior to men so they are not allowed to join military services.
- Status of widows: Widows are considered as worthless in Indian society. They are treated poorly and forced to wear white clothes.
Essay 3 (400 words)
Earlier women were facing problems like child marriage, sati pratha, parda pratha, restriction to widow remarriage, widows exploitation, devadasi system, etc. However, almost all the old traditional problems have been disappeared gradually from society but given rise to other new issues. Women are continuously facing many problems even after having self-confidence, individuality, self-respect, personality, capacity, talent, and efficiency more than men. They are facing problems in their daily life even after they are given equal rights and opportunities like men by the Constitution of India. Some of the major problems modern women are still facing mentioned below:
- Violence against women: Women are getting affected by the various violence almost every day which is disrupting society. Women are being victims of violence at a huge level day by day because of increasing crimes against women (according to the report of Crime Record Bureau of the Central Home Ministry). A woman is getting kidnapped every 44 minutes, raped at every 47 minutes, 17 dowry deaths every day, etc. They may face violence within the family (dowry-related harassment, death, marital rape, wife battering, sexual abuse, deprivation of healthy food, female genital mutilation, etc) or outside the family (kidnapping, rape, murder, etc).
- Gender discrimination: Women are considered a weaker section of society than men and given less importance. Girls children are becoming real victims of discrimination. There is also discrimination of power and work between men and women because of the patriarchal system families in India. Gender discrimination affects women in areas like nutrition, education, health, care, the decline of female population, job, public life, etc.
- Problems of female education: Women’s education percentage is low in India especially in rural areas because they are discouraged for higher education like professional and technical education.
- Problems related to unemployment: Women are getting more problems in searching for their suitable work. They become more prone to exploitation and harassment in the work areas.
- They are given more work and hard tasks by their boss intentionally. They have to prove their devotion, seriousness, and sincerity towards work from time to time.
- Women who are uneducated more prone to divorce and desertion by their husbands on any stage of life. They have to live the whole life with a fear of divorce. In some cases, they have to finish their life because of unbearable conditions.
- The Dowry system is another huge women problem in society which is increasing day by day. Women are ill-treated, man-handled, disrespected, tortured and suffer other cruelties (violence, murder, and suicide) because of the lack of dowry at the time of marriage. It causes the degradation of women’s status to a great extent.
Steps were taken by the Government regarding Women’s Safety
There are various rules, regulations, acts, and laws made by the Indian government regarding the safety of women in India. However, a new act (Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Bill, 2015) has been passed by the Indian government by replacing the earlier one of 2000 (Indian juvenile delinquency law of 2000) to reduce the juvenile age from 18 to 16 years especially in case of heinous offenses (after Nirbhaya case).