The newspaper has been one of the first mediums of mass media. Its popularity grew over time and even as we have plunged into the world of the internet, the newspaper continues to be preferred by the masses. A newspaper is a powerhouse of information. It contains news from the world of politics, business, showbiz and more. It makes the general public aware of what’s going on around the world.
Long and Short Essay on Newspaper and Its Uses
Essay 1 (250 words)
A newspaper is a form of printed media. It is a powerful mode of mass communication. It is a periodic publication, usually published on a daily basis. It contains news articles on current affairs from the world of politics, education, sports, culture and more. It also contains advertisements & features.
Newspaper and Its Uses
- A newspaper has a great influence on society. It is published all over the world in many different languages. Here is a look at the various uses of the newspaper:
- Newspaper can shape public opinion and influence the government and its policies
- In a democratic country, it serves as a link between the government and the people.
- It serves as the voice against injustice.
- It can mold and reflect public opinions.
- It provides valuable and essential information to the public such as the weather forecasts, criticism and reviews of literature, films, fine arts and local restaurants, obituaries and birth notices.
- It also serves as a source of entertainment with its features such as crosswords, fun facts, horoscope, comic strips, advice columns, food columns, celebrity gossip and more.
- Apart from this, newspapers have great educative value. They keep us updated about various happenings around the world and thus improve our general knowledge.
- Many newspapers also help in awakening health and environmental awareness among the people.
- A businessman can learn about the trends of the market and a job seeker can find a suitable job from job advertisements.
- At the time of crisis or emergency, the printing press can serve as a reliable source of information.
- Besides all these social, political and economic aspects newspapers are also a great platform for advertisement. Newspaper advertising has been around longer than any other form of advertising we see today and it still serves the purpose of advertisers correctly and efficiently.
In this age of television, the newspaper is still one of the most important parts of the media. We can conclude by saying that the newspaper broadens our outlook & is an enormous source of information. Cultivating a habit of reading a newspaper can be beneficial in many ways.
Essay 2 (400 words)
The Newspaper is one of the printed media available to the common man. It provides awareness about the happenings of the neighborhood to every corner of the world. Our idea of a newspaper is of folded sheets which contain information about and articles on news, features, reviews, and advertisements but it is much more than that. It means the world to some. It has the power to change one’s life. The information we receive from the newspaper plays a vital role in our daily life.
Uses of Newspaper in Students’ Life
One always benefits from the habit of reading the newspaper. Being a student it not only improves your reading skills and efficiency but also keeps you aware of the current affairs. One can always find the part that interests him and enhances his learning. For instance, a commerce student can know the current trade policy changes and the ups and downs in the market. This makes him ready for the future.
Likewise, someone related to the science background can know the new developments in the technological department. IAS, UPSC, GPSC, SSC, NDA, IBPS PO, and many other aspirants also benefit from the reading newspapers as it includes current affairs and needs them to be aware of the current happenings in the political, social and technological fields which are all covered in the newspaper. Students can greatly boost their general knowledge with newspaper reading habits. School curriculums have also included reading newspaper as one of the assignments which contribute to developing numerous skills in the student.
Newspaper comprises not only news but also of the entertainment columns like crosswords, puzzles, jumbles, various interesting articles, fun facts and comic strips to keep the reader involved. Like it is said, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”. So students can use these parts of the newspaper for recreational purposes. Other than this, the newspaper also consists of a separate section dealing with fashion trends, lifestyle, and life stories, etc. All this helps the reader stick to a regime of reading the newspaper daily, making it a habit without being bored at the same time. This can also serve as a break from reading the same course books.
Despite the massive development of electronic media, the newspaper still has a huge impact on the majority of the society and still holds its place firmly. It connects the students of the developing world with the good old way of gathering information and being more aware of the world.
Essay 3 (500 words)
A newspaper is a periodic publication that contains written information about current events. It covers a wide variety of fields such as politics, business, sports and arts, and also includes content such as opinion columns, weather forecasts, crosswords, editorial cartoons, and birth notices.
Though technology has advanced to a greater level and people can see news on television and their mobile phones, people still prefer to buy newspapers and read them. The feeling of reading news through a newspaper will always have more importance and impact on people’s mind compared to that gathered by some gadget. One of the reasons for this is that reading through electronic devices can strain eyes and can even cause serious health issues.
Newspapers help in building people’s thoughts, ideas, and feelings towards different things. Thus, if the articles in newspapers are correct and neutral then this can lead to the formation of the strong, unidirectional mental state of the whole civilization leading to the progress of the country. If the news is not true and neutral then it can also lead to the destruction of the whole union. Hence, it is necessary to have newspaper publications that are fearless, intelligent, not belonging to any political party and those that think about the nation and their duties towards the nation before their own personal interests. This is how newspapers hold great importance in our every day lives.
Functions of Newspaper and Its Importance in Our Lives
The uses or importance of newspapers in everyday lives can be summarized and easily understood by knowing its functions. So the four major functions of newspapers are as followed:
- To Inform: Newspapers provide facts and information to make citizens aware of the things happening around them and stay up to date. This helps in making them build a neutral and right perspective towards the latest scenarios.
- To Interpret the News: Newspapers basically provide a better idea about a situation or event, in detail. This may also vary from writer to writer as everyone has their own perspective towards a situation. So, it is essential for a citizen to take it in a neutral way and build his opinion about it.
- To Provide Services to Different Professionals: Newspapers provide information that helps businessmen as well as working professionals. New business ideas can be derived looking at how and where the market is heading. A newspaper is also a great place to advertise about one’s products and services. It is a great platform for both buyers and sellers. For example, if someone needs to buy a vehicle or home, then there are various advertisements that can help them assist in comparing and getting their deals. Newspapers also have a section for job seekers where they can check for suitable job vacancies and contact their prospective employers.
- To entertain: There are some specific sections in the newspaper which are designed to amuse or give enjoyment to readers. This section may contain some puzzles, cartoon sketches, jokes, crosswords, and many such activities. This section helps readers remain engrossed in the news for a longer time. It is a good way of recreation and brings joy. Puzzles and crosswords also challenge one’s mind and hones problem-solving skills.
There are many other benefits that one gets from reading newspapers, such as improvement in vocabulary and reading efficiency. All of these benefits help readers build their own polished personality which can help them further in their lives.
Essay 4 (600 words)
A newspaper is a bunch of printed pages. It is a type of printed media that consists of news, articles, features, views, advertisements, etc. It is a periodical type of publication that is usually published on a daily, weekly or monthly basis. It contains various sections in it to meet with the interests of all types of people in the society. It is one of the oldest means of mass media, and even in this electronic world, it is still prevalent in most parts of human civilization. It is published in numerous languages in different regions so that it can reach out to more and more people.
Newspaper and Its Significance
Newspapers have played a significant role in molding the thought process of the readers. Even in the time of British rule newspapers were an important source of reaching the common people. Newspapers successfully influenced thousands of people during the struggle for independence. It can still play an important role in influencing people for some sort of reform. People make their opinion on things based on what they have read about in the newspaper. So, it has to be printed with the utmost care. Newspaper publications must ensure that only the truth is catered to common people.
Newspaper and Its Benefits
Newspapers are a treasure of knowledge, Reading newspaper is highly recommended for those preparing for any competitive exam. It helps us improve our general knowledge which is of prime importance in today’s competitive world. It can help us improve our vocabulary when referred to on a daily basis. We can learn about fashion trends which are given in various articles published weekly. The newspaper also publishes recipes for a variety of dishes. It has got articles for healthy living, columns solely dedicated to public awareness and it also keeps us updated about famous sports and major events related to them. People also put up advertisements for matrimony and jobs to find the right match.
Newspaper: A Reliable Source of Information
In this world of social media, printed media proves to be one of the most reliable sources of information. The information shared on social media is by some random person who cannot be always trusted. Many times, fake news spreads on social media and it causes situation of chaos and confusion in various regions. In such situations, one looks up to a reliable source and newspapers have never failed to prove their worth. A newspaper is a publication run by trained and experienced professionals. The genuineness of the content is closely examined before it is provided to the people. Thus, in the time of emergency newspaper is one of the most trusted media.
Newspaper for Pastime Purpose
A newspaper is a tool for pastime for man; it is something with which their day begins. There are various sections in the newspaper to hook the reader up such as crosswords, puzzles, sudoku, riddles, and fun facts. Notifications for important events happening in the city can be checked out in the newspaper. Movie show timings, movie reviews, book reviews, channel schedules, etc are all provided in a newspaper. Comic strips and short stories are also published in special weekly editions of the newspaper. Thus, the newspaper can be a perfect pastime material for all classes of people.
Since the last several decades’ newspaper has been an important part of the people’s lives and it continues to be so even in the era of superfast electronic media. Reading newspapers is a habit of millions of people around the globe even today. It is an inseparable part of the daily lives of many. Morning breakfast without a newspaper is considered a dull affair. Such is the craze and significance of the newspaper.