Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan is a campaign launched to make this country a disabled-friendly country and bring more economic growth. It is also known as Accessible India Campaign, run by the Indian government to help disabled people in India. It is the most important topic regarding development in India which students must know. So, teachers may assign their students to write some paragraphs or essays on Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan during any competition, event celebration or exam.
Long and Short Essay on Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan (Accessible India Campaign)
Essay 1 (250 words)
Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan or Accessible India Campaign was launched on the 3rd of December 2015 by the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi. This Abhiyan is launched especially to provide equal access to people with disabilities in India. This campaign was launched especially on the 3rd of December as this day is celebrated as the International Day of Persons with Disabilities all over the world. This campaign is launched to fulfill the objectives of making almost 50% of the government buildings (whether in the national capital or state capitals) fully accessible for the disabled people by July 2018.
Katibenla, a nine years old girl child suffering from 100 percent locomotor disability, was awarded the National Award at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi on the 3rd of December (World Disability Day) 2015. She belongs to the Khensa village, Mokokchung district, Nagaland and was nominated for the Best Creative Child with Disabilities Award for the Empowerment of Person with Disabilities in the country.
This initiative is an ambitious move of the Indian government aiming to enable disabled persons to gain universal access through equal opportunities for development. This campaign is to help them for independent living through their active participation in almost all aspects of life. This initiative includes the renovation of airports and railway stations easily accessible to the disabled.
The Prime Minister of India has stated in his speech that all the smart cities, planned to be made in the future, should have full accessibility for the person with disabilities. In order to bring changes in people’s way of thinking about disabled people, PM has said to consider the replacement of the word ‘Viklang’ with ‘Divyang’. This initiative will complete the meaning of a slogan ‘sabka saath, sabka Vikas’ in the future.
Essay 2 (300 words)
Accessible India Campaign or Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan is an initiative program run by the Indian government to equally serve the differently-able people of the country. This program is launched to make disabled-friendly buildings and other public places. It was launched on 3rd December 2015 in New Delhi. This program is dedicated to the disabled community, that’s why it was launched especially on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
Targets of this Campaign
This campaign targets to provide easy access for disabled people in public places. As per the census of 2011, around 21 M Indians (2.21% of the total population) are suffering from a disability. Approximately fifty percent of the government buildings and twenty-five percent of the government public transport vehicles are targeted to make them disabled-friendly all over India till the end of 2016 or mid of 2017.
Further developments with bigger targets regarding this program will be continued in the following years. By 2018, almost the overall environment will become more comprehensive for people with disabilities. It has been estimated that by July 2016, international airports and railway stations in the country (coming under A1, A and B categories) will be completely ready for the use of the disabled. It will offer them equal opportunities like other normal public.
There is a plan to develop online websites and mobile apps so that the common public can upload their views regarding the accessibility of any government building. Visually impaired disabled people will have access to special set-top boxes which will make their TV watching more convenient and easy. It has also been planned by the next 5 years to train almost 200 disabled persons to speak in sign languages (a system of communication which uses visual gestures and signs to teach deaf people) through the government channels on TV. It targets private companies also to fulfill the ‘accessibility index’ standard for the differently-abled.
Private companies from different sectors (like textiles, manufacturing, etc) will be rated (one to ten) according to their investment in providing training and quality of facilities to differently able employees for their career growth. It is a big step taken by the government to bring disabled people also to the industry which has dual benefits like career growth of disabled and economic growth of the country.
Essay 3 (400 words)
Prime Minister, Narendra Modi, has launched an initiative called Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan (also called Accessible India Campaign) on the 3rd of December in 2015 at Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi. It was launched especially on the International Day of Persons with Disabilities which is annually being celebrated all over the world on 3rd December. This is an active effort made by the Indian government to make India more friendly and accessible for differently-abled people. The sole objective of this Abhiyan is to empower disabled people all across the country for their career growth and economic growth.
Objectives and Action Plan of Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
Following are the objectives of this campaign:
- It aims to make government buildings, offices, public space, tourist places, transport, railway stations, airports, information and communication technologies, etc disabled-friendly in the country.
- It aims to create a barrier-free environment all over the country to attain universal accessibility for disabled people.
- It emphasizes to provide equal opportunities to the disabled to live an independent life.
- It aims to call all the disabled people of the country to participate in each aspect of life to make their lives easy, safe, productive, and dignified.
- It aims to spread awareness about this program among builders and activists through an expert team.
- It aims to establish a special university having special courses by the Indian government for disabled people.
- It aims to offer free motorized tricycles to the persons having around 70-90% disability by the ministry of social justice and empowerment.
- It aims to renovate around 50-100 public buildings by each state for the persons with disabilities.
- It aims to make more public buildings in 50 Indian cities by 2016.
Action plan for this campaign is:
The main target of this campaign is to a built-up a friendly environment, information and communication eco-system, and transportation eco-system. In order to spread awareness among people, it will make use of information technologies, social media, and other online tools. There is a plan to convert citizen-centric public websites into disabled-friendly. It has also planned to create accessible hospitals, police stations, tourism, etc through the collaboration of the Ministry of Home, Family Welfare and Ministry of Tourism, and the Ministry of Health. Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will work to enhance accessibility to television broadcasts.
Including this campaign, there are various other campaigns launched by the Modi government. Most of them have their time limit to be completed by the next 5 years. This campaign is also set to be completed by the next 5 years. This campaign has aimed to make available universal accessibility, accessibility rights and independent living for people with disabilities. As we have seen the positive responses of already launched campaigns, there is no doubt about the success of this campaign. It will really make disabled people of society more accessible to the basic facilities and independent. They can make their life better as well as contribute to the economic growth of the country without being a burden to the family or society.
Essay 4 (600 words)
Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan is an initiative launched to strengthen the people with disabilities of the society. It is to make them able to access all the public places with ease. This campaign is also known as the Accessible India Campaign as it provides easy access to equal facilities to disabled people. This step is taken by the Indian government to solve this big issue faced by the differently-abled people.
This campaign has aimed to achieve universal accessibility for People with Disabilities by providing equal opportunities for education, employment, health care, transport, sports, recreation, and many more with full dignity. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said in his speech that people with disabilities should be called as ‘Divyang’ (means people with extraordinary capabilities) and not as ‘Viklang’ (means handicapped).
What is Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan is a campaign made to endure easy accessibility of the physical environment. It is to enhance accessibility as well as usability of the public places, transport, and information and communication technologies to the disabled people.
Goals of Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan
Following are the most important goals of this campaign:
- To develop online web portals and mobile apps to spread awareness among people regarding this program.
- To enable the common public to upload their views and ideas regarding this campaign through the use of online websites and mobile apps.
- To make airports, railway stations, and metros fully accessible for persons with disabilities by constructing lifts, ramps, toilets, and signage (commercial or public display signs).
- To meet accessibility standards of around 75 important railway stations and all international airports by July 2016 as well as around 200 pool of sign language interpreters by July 2019.
- To invite PSUs and corporates to support in this campaign regarding access audits and conversions.
- To make four major cities of Maharashtra (Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, and Nasik) fully disabled-friendly.
- To ensure accessibility of sign language and captions through TV programs.
- To eliminate obstacles and barriers regarding indoor and outdoor facilities (such as schools, workplaces, medical facilities, footpaths, transportation systems, buildings, information and communication technologies, etc) for the disabled.
Possibility of Success of this Campaign
Action plan has been prepared by the government regarding this campaign in order to work in the right direction. Here are some points mentioned with action plans of this initiative:
- Various workshops have been planned to be conducted for zonal awareness to make aware of the key stakeholders (including government officers, architects, real estate developers, engineers, students, etc).
- It has planned to create and distribute brochures, educational booklets, and videos regarding the issue of accessibility.
- Web portals and mobile apps (in English, Hindi, and other regional languages) will be created to make a sourcing platform for the public to get information about inaccessible places, the creation of accessible toilets, ramps, accessible ramps, etc.
- CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) resources will be channelized to create accessible buildings and transportation means.
- Actions regarding physical accessibility will be performed which will enhance accessibility to education, employment, and livelihood.
The action plans have been made and will be implemented soon to enhance the productivity of people with disabilities as well as their economic contribution to the country. There is no doubt in the progress and success of this campaign. It will really fulfill all the objectives according to the action plan.
It has been many years of independence in the country however we cannot say that people in India are independent as people with disabilities are still dependent on their parents and family members or caregivers for more basic activities. People with disabilities are still backward because of their inaccessibility to public places, building, offices, schools, roads, railway stations, airports, metros, etc. They cannot carry their wheelchair physically at such places. They have been bounded to a very limited life even after being talented people of society.
This initiative will really be proved very helpful for all those who are suffering from any type of disability. It will provide them equal opportunity to go ahead by accessing all the facilities very easily. Through this campaign, they can grow their career, can be independent and contribute to the country’s economy as well.