Traffic congestion is a condition caused by the increasing number of vehicles on the road resulting in congestion, road blockage, slower speed, longer route time and the loss of valuable time. Traffic jam occurs when the vehicles have to completely stop or move at a snail’s pace for a certain period of time. It is an issue of serious concern in every city these days. Traffic jam leads to sheer waste of productive time.
Long and Short Essay on Traffic Jam
Essay 1 (250 words)
Traffic jam is a condition in which the vehicles get stuck in a jam for a certain period of time. Traffic jams are frustrating and waste a lot of time causing unnecessary delays in reaching one’s destination. Traffic congestion is a problem that occurs with the increasing use of vehicles characterized by slower movement and an increase in travel time leading to longer vehicle queues.
Traffic Problem in India
India is a country with the second-largest network of roads in the world, Out of 5.4 million km long network of road, 97,991 km is covered by national highways. It is a huge challenge for the Indian government to provide high-class road transport networks due to the steep increase in commercial vehicles.
There is an increase in the number of private vehicles and the roads are overburdened in almost all big cities of India. It is a day to day affair and pain to deal with traffic, pollution and aggressive drivers on the roads causing major mental and physical stress for people these days. On average, a person spends around 30 min to 2 hours in their daily driving. Most of this time is spent in traffic jams. Indian cities still have poor public transport and a majority of people have to depend on private transport.
An increase in the Population density in cities is the major factor responsible for the pressure on-street capacity. The overuse of urban roads also degrades the quality of roads. Increasing traffic hinders the development of new roads. In addition, air pollution and noise pollution has grown drastically due to traffic jams in recent years. The recent pollution level in Delhi was an alarming incident for the country. The odd-even scheme was designed by the Delhi CM to deal with the issue.
Various measures need to be taken to improve the public transport network and infrastructure. Carpooling and bike pooling should be exercised more often by people. New plans and schemes should be devised and implemented effectively to solve the traffic issue.
Essay 2 (400 words)
One of the most common problems that one faces in Delhi are getting caught up in traffic jams. Commuting on the roads of Delhi is becoming more time consuming and exhausting day by day. Poor public transportation, infrastructure and increasing population in the city are the major reasons for traffic on Delhi roads. Our National Capital has become one of the top ten cities in the world for having the worst traffic congestions.
Major Reasons for Traffic Jam in Delhi
Here are some of the major reasons for traffic jams in Delhi:
- One of the chief reasons for traffic jams is the increasing number of vehicles on the roads. Poor infrastructure is not on par with the growing population. During peak hours there are long queues and research shows that more than one lakh vehicles travel every day on the busy roads of Delhi.
- Another major reason is the growing population in Delhi, which results in a growing number of workforce.
- The inadequate public transport network in Delhi is also one of the reasons for traffic jams. The transport system is unable to keep pace with the growing population which results in a greater number of private vehicles on the roads that cause traffic congestion.
- Another reason is mixed traffic which includes cars, buses, two-wheelers, pedestrians, etc which makes it difficult to manage traffic and leads to traffic congestion.
Problems Due to Traffic Jams
- Traffic jam results in unnecessary delays that are not preferred by anyone. It results in non-productivity as people get caught up in traffic congestions.
- Commuting on the roads of Delhi has become unsafe and has resulted in the increasing number of road fatalities. Traffic jams are known to increase these mishaps. Delhi is known for the highest number of road accidents in the country.
- There is an increase in noise pollution and air pollution due to traffic jams.
- The other problems caused due to traffic jams on Delhi roads are road rage, wastage of fuel, wear and tear on vehicles.
- Emergency vehicles such as fire brigade and ambulance get stuck up due to traffic jams.
Effective implementation of the intelligent transport system can bring about sustainable traffic solutions. Proper implementation of ITS can lead to traffic efficiency, less traffic congestion, safety to drivers and improved energy efficiency. Other measures that need to be taken are to develop and improve the public transport networks, improve transport infrastructure, improve traffic safety, create awareness about traffic rules and safety and develop cost-effective public transport facilities. The effectiveness of such measures also depends on the people of Delhi and the proper imposition of laws.
Essay 3 (500 words)
The population in India is increasing day by day. More and more people are moving to urban areas. So, with the increase in population and urbanization, the problem of traffic is becoming more severe in big cities. The pressure of traffic also results in increasing numbers of road accidents. In addition, there are people who have little road sense and often break the traffic rules. This too has resulted in road mishaps.
The major reason for traffic jams is obviously more private cars and vehicles on the road. Poor road management and lack of proper infrastructure also lead to traffic congestion. Besides, the work areas of people are often located far away from the residential areas, which is why they need to travel to work daily. These are the major factors responsible for traffic in big cities and cause several problems.
Problem Arising Due to Traffic in Big Cities
Let’s have a look at some major problems that arise due to traffic in big cities:
- Traffic is one of the major problems in big cities and has made the lives of people really difficult. It is an everyday problem people need to deal with. It wastes the time of commuters and motorists. As it is a nonproductive activity, it also affects our economic growth negatively.
- People experience delays which result in reaching late for meetings, work, schools and so on. This may even result in personal losses.
- It also results in a waste of fuels that cause air pollution and the emission of greenhouse gases.
- It increases stress and frustration among motorists and passengers encouraging aggressive driving and annoying behavior resulting in reduced health of passengers. It may also include verbal insults and intentionally driving in an aggressive and unsafe manner that may lead to road mishaps which can cause injuries and deaths.
- Traffic congestion may interfere with the route of emergency vehicles that need to move quickly.
- It is usually not possible for the drivers to estimate the travel time. It takes more time to travel to the destination and results in less productive activities.
- Traffic jams can also have a psychological impact on the mind of a person. The traffic congestion and constant blowing of horns create excessive noise pollution that leads to aggressive behavior. The delay in work performance and the sense of loss due to less productivity constantly hangs heavy on their heads.
- Traffic jams hinder the progress of individuals, firms and the nation as a whole. These are not favored by anybody in this fast-paced world. Not only do they impact people but they also adversely affect our environment and overall economic growth and development.
The traffic problem is one of the major problems that need serious attention. There should be more public transport facilities at affordable rates and better infrastructure to encourage people to use public transport. The citizens also need to act in a responsible manner and use public transport or share transport more often to reduce the traffic. Measures also need to be taken to control the population which is the major cause of the increasing number of vehicles on the roads.
Essay 4 (600 words)
Traffic jam is the condition when vehicles are stopped completely for some time period and have to wait for a long time to move out of the jam. Whereas traffic congestion refers to the condition of the transport network that occurs due to the increasing use of roads often attributed to slow speed, longer trip time and increased queues of vehicles. People are negatively affected due to traffic jams. Traffic jam and traffic congestion is a major issue mostly in big cities.
Traffic jams and congestion have a tremendous impact on the life of people. It is one of the most serious problems in big cities that people have to deal with in their day to day life. This results in a lot of unproductive time. Since most of the people have to deal with it on a daily basis they may psychologically get affected to some extent. It also affects work, education and personal life of people.
Disadvantages of Traffic Jams
Let us have a look at some chief disadvantages of traffic jams in detail below:
- Unproductive time is the major disadvantage of traffic jams. People simply get stuck up in traffic jams and wait to go for work. People who have to travel long distances for work or the students who have to rush to school or college may get caught up in traffic jams. This impacts their productivity at the workplace/ school.
- The other negative effect of the population is the emission of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere leading to the issue of global warming which has a negative impact on the health of people and our environment.
- Businesses nowadays provide home delivery services. This requires the delivery boy to deliver products on time but if the delivery boy is stuck up in traffic jams the delivery will be delayed and this can lead to unsatisfied customers.
- The other effect of traffic jams is the inability to estimate travel time. Those who regularly travel through the traffic areas have an idea of approximately how long it usually takes to reach their particular destination. But in case, they get stuck in traffic jams more than the usual time, they get late to reach where they need to head.
- The breaking and accelerating of the vehicles in traffic jams burns more fuel. More use of fuel costs more to the commuters. And the delay in productivity leads to additional loss.
- Road rage is the absurd reaction of commuters that is common due to traffic jams. The constant thought of getting late and the loss due to a waste of time annoy people. In such a situation if someone is driving slower and blocking the way of the person behind him or if someone is overtaking the other driver, it results in aggressive behavior. People often use abusive language and drive aggressively that can lead to accidents. It is basically the outburst by the frustrated drivers stuck in traffic jams.
- Emergency vehicles get stuck up in traffic jams that cause a delay in reaching the location where they need to reach urgently. This may lead to a serious loss for some people.
Thus, traffic jam is a serious issue in every big city that causes several problems for commuters on day to day basis. It consumes so much of time and energy unnecessarily and is not preferred by anyone. Serious measures need to be taken to control traffic and promote the use of public transport. The development of the public transport network at economical rates is essential. Traffic safety rules should be effectively implemented for the safety of the commuters. People should drive more responsibly, use public transport and opt for carpool whenever possible.