Mother’s Day in India
Mother’s Day is an annual event celebrated every year to honor and respect a mother. It is a modern time celebration which was originated in North America in order to honor the mothers. It is celebrated to salute the motherhood as well as increasing the maternal bonds to children.
It is celebrated to increase the influence of mothers in society. Mother’s day is being celebrated every year on different dates in various countries all across the world. In India, it is celebrated every year on the second Sunday of the month of May.
Mother’s Day 2019
Mother’s Day in India 2019 was celebrated on Sunday, the 12th of May. It falls every year on the second Sunday in the month of May.
The International Mother’s Day theme 2019 was celebrated with the hashtag #BalanceforBetter. The theme focused on maintaining the gender balance for a better world.
People across the globe celebrated Mother’s Day by paying tribute to their mother. They also updated social media platforms with the pictures of their mother and shared the stories of her love, care, and sacrifice.
Local and online marketplaces provided hefty discounts on gifts items to make the occasion special. Restaurants across the world started giving offers on the day as respect to all the mothers.
Miracle Foundation India organized a campaign on Mother’s Day which was aimed at the children living in the orphanage to reunite with their biological families. The NGO also invited donations from people so that they can empower the families to welcome their children home.
Amitabh Bachhan dedicated a special song titled ‘Maa’ on Mother’s Day to pay tribute to all the mothers of the world. The video song included a slideshow that had images of great mothers of all time.
Why Mother’s Day is Celebrated (History of Mother’s Day in India)
Mother’s Day celebration was first started in the ancient era by the Greeks and Romans. However, its celebration was also noticed in the UK as a Mothering Sunday. The celebration of mother’s day has been modernized everywhere. It is celebrated in modern ways and not in years old ways.
It is being celebrated in almost 46 countries of the world on different dates. It is a big event for everyone when they get the chance and opportunity to honor their mothers. We should say thanks to history which was the reason for the origin of mother’s day.
Earlier, the ancient people of Greek were highly dedicated to their maternal goddesses on the special occasion of the annual spring festival. According to Greek mythology, they were celebrating this occasion in order to honor the Rhea (means the wife of Cronus as well as the mother of many deities).
Ancient Roman people were also celebrating a spring festival named Hilaria which was dedicated to the Cybele (means a mother goddess). At that time, devotees were used to making offerings in front of the mother Goddess Cybele in the temple. The whole celebration was organized for three days long with a lot of activities like a variety of games, parades, and masquerades.
Mother’s day is also celebrated by the Christians on the fourth Sunday in order to respect the Virgin Mary (means the Mother of Christ). Another history of Mothers Day celebration is in England around the 1600s. Christians worship the Virgin Mary, offer some gifts and flowers and pay tribute to Her.
Mother’s day in the US was decided to be celebrated as an official event by the ideas of Julia Ward Howe (a poet, activist, and writer) in the year 1872. She had suggested mother’s day as a peace event to be celebrated on the 2nd of June and Mothers’ Peace day on the 2nd Sunday of June.
Anna Jarvis, known as the Founder of Mother’s Day (also famous as Mother of Mothers Day) in the US though she was an unmarried woman and never had kids. She was highly inspired by her mother’s (Mrs. Anna Marie Reeves Jarvis) care and love after death and decided to suggest a day for mothers to honor them and symbolized their true love.
Nowadays, it is being celebrated in many countries such as the UK, China, India, the US, Mexico, Denmark, Italy, Finland, Turkey, Australia, Canada, Japan, and Belgium. People celebrate this day with great enthusiasm and joy by organizing many activities to pay tribute to the lovely mothers.
How Mother’s Day is Celebrated
Mother’s Day is a very special day of the year for everyone. People who care and love their mothers celebrate this special occasion in many ways. It is the only day of the year that has been dedicated to all the mothers in this world. People in various countries celebrate this event on different dates and days according to the country’s norms and calendar.
In India, it is celebrated every year on the second Sunday of the month of May in almost all regions of the country. The ways of celebration have been changed a lot in this modern time all over India. It has become an event of big awareness in society. Everyone wants to participate and celebrate this event according to their own way. It is an indication of the presence of foreign festivals in this culturally diverse country. It is a global event celebrated in many countries
High technologies like computers and the internet have brought a huge revolution in a society which is generally shown everywhere. Nowadays, people are highly aware of their relationship and want to honor and respect through celebration. India is a country of great culture and tradition where people give first place and priority to their mother.
So, mother’s day celebration here is of great importance for us. This is the day when we can realize the care love, hard work and motivational thoughts of our mothers. She is a great person in our life without which we cannot imagine a simple life. She is one who makes our life so simple and easy with her caring love.
So, through the celebration of mother’s day, we get at least one day in the whole year to spend only for our mothers. It is time to rejoice and give respect to the mother by understanding her importance. A mother is like a Goddess who never wants anything back from children. She only wants to make her children a responsible and good human being. Our mothers are the motivational and guiding force for us which helps us to always go ahead and overcome any problem.
A grand celebration on the mother’s day is organized in the schools by the teachers to celebrate it in front of the kids to make them aware of the event and know the importance of a mother. Mothers of the small students are especially invited in the schools to be a part of the celebration. On this day, each student tells something about their mother through poem recitation, essay writing, speech narration, dancing, singing, conversation, etc.
Mothers are also initiated by the teachers to show something to their kids in the classrooms. They generally sing songs or dance to entertain the kids. Mothers are also bringing some lovely dishes in the school and distribute equally to all students of the class at the end of the celebration. Kids also give their moms handmade greeting cards or another thing as a gift. Kids go to restaurants, malls, parks, etc places with their parents to enjoy in different ways.
People of Christian religion celebrate it in their own ways. They do special prayer on this day to the God in churches in the honor of their mothers. They also give surprise to their mothers by giving them greeting cards and breakfast in the bed.
On this day, kids do not disturb their mothers and let them sleep late in the morning and prepare some favorite dishes to surprise mothers. Some kids buy ready-made gifts, clothes, purses, accessories, jewelry, etc to impress their mothers. At night, everyone enjoys delicious dinner at home or at restaurants with the family.
Mother’s day is a holiday in some countries in order to give full opportunity for kids to enjoy with family and have lots of fun. It is a wonderful day for mothers to keep them away from all the household works and responsibilities.
Themes of Mother’s Day
- The International Mother’s Day theme 2019 will be celebrated with the hashtag #BalanceforBetter. The theme will focus on maintaining the gender balance for a better world.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2017 was “Every Mother knows”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2016 was “Hands of the Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2015 was “Heart of the Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2014 was “Love of the Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2013 was “Knee of the Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2012 was “Touch of the Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2011 was “Worthy Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2010 was “Daughter of all the Kings”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2009 was “Holiness Beauty”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2008 was “Bless the Nest”.
- The theme for the Mother’s Day in the year 2007 was “Bows and Buttons”.
- The theme for the Mother’s Day in the year 2006 was “Love’s Cameos”.
- The theme for the Mother’s Day in the year 2005 was “Happy Memories”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2004 was “Woman of the Classic Christian”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2003 was “From Far over the Rubbies”.
- The theme for the Mother’s Day in the year 2002 was “Hands for the Work and Heart for the God”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2001 was “Hats off for the good work”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 2000 was “Home’s Heart”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1999 was “Holiness Beauty”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1998 was “Motherhood joys”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1997 was “Found a way for Love”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1996 was “Love in the House”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1995 was “In the Air, there is a Love”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1994 was “At home, there is Love”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1993 was “Silhouette’s Love”.
- The theme for the Mother’s Day in the year 1992 was “Mother’s – Sisters – Daughters – Friends”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1991 was “Apron Strings of the Mother”.
- The theme for Mother’s Day in the year 1990 was “Footsteps of the Mother”.